Sunday, November 23, 2014

Prompt 3:

I do not believe that fate has played a role in my life. I don't believe that fate is a factor in life, except for the end result of life. In that regard, everyone has the same fate. It is said that death is the great equalizer, because everyone has the same status when they are deceased. However, Shakespeare would likely disagree with me about the role of fate in a person's life.
He likely believed that fate was an important factor in life, as shown through the witches' prophecies in Macbeth. He portrayed these prophecies as inescapable, and something that would happen no matter the actions of the characters. This is shown through the prophecy delivered to Banquo, where he is told that his son will be a king. Banquo does nothing to further the goal of this prophecy, and yet it still comes true. This is an example of Shakespeare's fatalistic worldview, where fate governs the lives of all people.
Another example of this is the central prophecy of the play, the one delivered to Macbeth. It is said that he will become the thane of Cawdor, and then the king of Scotland. The entire play revolves around the consequences of Macbeth's fulfillment of the prophecy, where he becomes incredibly paranoid and untrusting of his closest friends. Macbeth kills the current king in order to become the king of Scotland, driving the inheritor of the throne away from the country. This allows him to take control, and his worry about the prophecy delivered to Banquo drives him to kill. It is unclear whether Macbeth would have become king if he had not killed Duncan, but I think that Shakespeare believed that it would happen. The reason he kills Duncan is due to the incessant thirst for power present in his wife, who drives him to commit regicide.


2 comments:

  1. Really strong response. However you make a lot of absolute claims, so be careful there. Try to avoid generalizations. But other than that you have made your point very clear, and justified. The "no fate" claim seemed a bit drastic at first but you have great evidence to back it up. Keep up the good work. Love you, son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job Farm Boy!! You brought up a great point when you used examples from Macbeth and the Witches. While Macbeth knows his fate, he doesn't do anything to change it. I agree with Alec (your second favorite Duncan) that the "no fate" claim was a bit drastic, but I agreed with your first paragraph of how humans all have the same fate which is death. Personally, I think fate and faith go hand in hand. I'm a Catholic so of course I beleive that we go to Purgatory and then to Heaven (hopefully...haha). Yes, that's my overall fate, I have faith in God that he has a fate for me during my time on Earth. That's where I think people get confused. We forget that every human must die (...that sounded a little harsh) and that's our overall fate, but if you believe in a higher power, you believe that they have a different fate for you. For example, I know I'm going to die one day (hard truth), but I'm sure God has another plan for me. All in all, I think you did a great job and brought up some great points about life. Love, your first favorite Duncan

    ReplyDelete