Sunday, April 5, 2015

Walt Whitman likes to scribble

Step 1: I can barely read cursive, so there are only a few things that I'm able to make out from this notebook. Short words like in and the, and letters with distinct markings, such as t and i, are some of the few words that I can distinguish, however I see the word ship a lot. This is probably in relation to his dialogue with Lincoln, as he referred to Lincoln as a captain in the poem "O Captain! My Captain!" Later in Whitman's notes there appears to be a section where Whitman draws himself slowly transforming into the distinctive clothing of Abraham Lincoln, made obvious by the giant top hat.

Step 2: From what I have read in the additional tabs, Whitman seems to have idolized Abraham Lincoln. His ideas on religion are particularly interesting, as they involve good and evil originating from one being. This can be seen as contrary to some religions, in particular Christianity, as it is preferred to separate the origins of good and evil. Whitman's idealization of liberty is interesting, as he addresses it as a concept which transcends all borders and time. It is an eternal ideal, and his ideas are fitting for someone considered to be one of the greatest American poets.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I thought Robinson Carroll was targeting me and I'm very disappointed because I had my suspicion about you and just wasn't paying attention. I want a re-do ahhhh.
    2. Sack (that is your name), we've certainly grown a lot closer this year than in the past. I never thought that you were the kind to have the same weird sense of humor as me. Thank you for keeping Meal Team Sixy and Lunch Bunch together, and a huge thank you for giving me shelter while we waited for a tow man to come and start my engine by pushing a hidden button. Good luck at App, and I'm looking forward to seeing where you are in a year and in four.

    ReplyDelete